Frequently Asked Questions

Sitting on pathThe following are some frequently asked questions about Traverse Independence's programs, services, locations, and intake and referral process. For additional information, you can read our Programs and Services Brochure.

Whom do I contact to get services?

Traverse Independence offers services for adults with physical disabilities and for adults with acquired brain injuries (ABI). Visit our Contact Us page for more information or call our Head Office at 519-741-5845.

What's the difference between Traverse Independence's transitional housing, supportive housing and group home?

The Transitional Living  program is designed for adults with brain injuries who are transitioning back into the community over a relatively short period of time (up to 2 years). Both the Supportive Housing program and the Acquired Brain Injuries (ABI) Group Home are for adults with disabilities who require our services on an on-going, long-term basis in a residential setting.

What is the cost of your services?

The cost for services offered through Traverse Independence varies depending on the program and required level and frequency of services. Please contact us for more information.

Where can I go for financial or legal assistance?

The following are resources to help you in applying for either financial or legal assistance:

Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits - CPPD 

Legal Aid
Legal Aid Kitchener-Waterloo      519-743-4306
Legal Aid Guelph                            519-824-0170

Ontario Disability Support Program

What geographic area does Traverse Independence provide services for? 

Most of our site locations are in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and we provide services in the Town of Fergus.  We also offer ABI Outreach throughout the County of Wellington and the Region of Waterloo.

What is the starting age for your services?

Clients must be at least 16 years of age to participate in our programs and services.

What is an Acquired Brain Injury?

An acquired brain injury, sometimes referred to as a traumatic brain injury, is any damage to the brain which occurs after birth as a result of a traumatic or non-traumatic event, is not related to a congenital or a degenerative disease,
and can result in temporary, prolonged or permanent impairments in cognitive, emotional, behavioural or physical functioning.

Examples of acquired brain injuries include damage to the brain resulting from a stroke, illness, or from accidents like falls and vehicle collisions.

What are ABI outreach services?

Outreach services for adults with acquired brain injuries (ABI) are services and support provided to clients in their primary residence, which could be a private home, apartment, retirement home or long-term care facility. A worker meets with the client to determine what kind of assistance he or she needs.  Outreach services may include providing access to other resources in the community or assisting clients in applying for financial support. Our ABI Community Facilitators often assist clients with applying for alternate transit services, such as Mobility Plus, or obtaining financial support for a wheelchair ramp at their home.